Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm on board! But what's the cost?

I've decided since there are several "new" exercise crazes hitting the country AND since I've been blogging about them, that I MUST embrace theses new Exercise Craze phenomena!  Sooo, I have signed up for becoming a Spin Instructor! YEAH!  (I'm REALLY excited!)  AND I've ordered a pair of Kangoo Jumps!!

I've been spinning for about 2 and a half years and I LOVE it!  Spinning really "kills" calories, targets the key large muscle groups and its one of the best cardiovascular exercises that is still relatively easy on the knees and back...both of which are trouble spots for me!  However, spinning isn't free!  I currently have a gym membership; that isn't free.  I need "spin shoes" not free to the tune of one hundred dollars.  My heart monitor wasn't free. It too sings the tune to the almighty hundred dollar bill and of course lets not forget about the socks, the shirts, the padded shorts,  the iPOD, and the iTunes downloaded songs to listen to while spinning.  But did I mention I LOVE it?

Now that I've decided to become a Spin Instructor, which will FORCE me to be  my top spin fit self, I need to be certified.  They're not giving away certificates!  I had to sign up for the certification course which includes an entire day of "class instruction" as well as 2 "rides".  For a little less than three hundred dollars I get the privilege of taking this course as well as receiving the course instruction manual, the ploy binder AND the spin brochure.  Plus, they threw in for "free" the complimentary spin membership!  But as I survey what I receive for this three hundred dollar investment, it does seem like I'm getting my money worth.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the many ways  Spinning has already "repaid' me!  First off, it has been the key cardio exercise that has helped me to sweat off 11 or so pounds and will help me maintain that weight loss-give or take a pound or two or three! Its the enjoyable exercise that has worked my key muscle which will hopefully keep me spinning for years to come, my HEART muscle!   Can't put a dollar amount on that!  Second,  I've made "Spin friends!  They're the other supportive, spin loving gals (and guys) who sweat to the tunes with me as we spin as a gang down the road of good heath.  And of course lets not forget the other outdoor sport I'm now fond of too, road biking.  But really, lets not EVEN go there! I just had my bike "tuned up" to the small investment of four hundred dollars!  Its WINTER!  I HATE the cold!  What was I thinking?!

Kangoo Jumps!  Have I done it? No!  Have I blogged about it? Yes!  Is "writing" and "doing" the same thing? NO!  But that didn't keep me from investing almost two hundred and fifty dollars in a pair of Kangoo Jumps!  I guess you could say I "sold" myself on my last blog which touted the benefits of "Jumping".  It looks fun.  It too is supposed to "kills" lots of calories AND its easy on the joints and  back.  Did I mention that bad back of mine?  But free?  Not so much.  Especially when you factor in, I've never taken a class. Will I USE my Jumps?   Will I like it  or will I actually hate it?  Like say...Zumba? (Just kidding! Smile!)  Where exactly will I take a class?  There's only two I've been able to find in all of Maryland!  AND I'm don't have  a membership to either place!  We are NOT going there!!!  Soooo, will it  be worth it?  I'll let you know!

Again, lets look at the benefits of Kangoo Jumps.  You can use "Jumps" anywhere. Indoors or outdoors.  I can do them in my living room while watching TV or listening to my iPOD.  Or I can use outside...after the Winter thaw. (wink) I did mention I HATE cold weather?  Or, perhaps I'll get certified in it too and teach my own class! Who knows what that costs?!  But, Jumps are a great cardio workout and they're easy on the body.  Plus, they're supposed to be fun!  Why not have fun while killing major calories?

Bottom line of the accounting spreadsheet:  exercise is good for you!  But...exercise isn't cheap.  I'm SURE exercise  can be less expense, like, running outside.  Do I really need to mention those two dollars shoes?!   Anyway, it seems all of the newest exercise crazes come with a price tag.  Not only do they work your body but they seem to squeeze your wallet as well.  But lets face it what is the cost of the alternative?  Cardiovascular disease, lung disease, obesity, diabetes, you name a health issue.  Disease isn't fun and its certainly not cheap!  So suck it up!  Put your wallet on the counter!  And pay your way to health!  Its worth it!  No matter how you count it!

No comments:

Post a Comment